AROS One x86 Work In Progress

AMIGASYSTEM · 55841

miker1264

• Legendary Member
Reply #30 on: November 09, 2021, 12:26:47 PM

Time for me to ease my way back into AROS. A little at a time.  :)

Same here ^^

LOL. I have to start compiling again before I forget how.  :)

miker1264

• Legendary Member
Reply #31 on: November 09, 2021, 12:30:26 PM
AMIGASYSTEM

I downloaded both. The DirTree source looks very simple. I'll try to compile it later this evening. I'll try Murks also just to compare.

The font datatype looks interesting. I might look into that also. 

AMIGASYSTEM

• Legendary Member
  • AROS One
    • AROS One
Reply #32 on: November 09, 2021, 02:34:49 PM
Watch out Murks, if you don't have the right files in the Development folder it doesn't work, moreover in the S folder there are all the assignments and you don't need a script to start Murks.

If you have problems I can send you my Developent folder with Murks included, all working :)

miker1264

• Legendary Member
Reply #33 on: November 09, 2021, 11:18:07 PM
AMIGASYSTEM

I was a little rusty, but it started coming back to me.  :)

There were two errors in the code for DirTree. After I corrected them then I could compile at the commanline using gcc using:
gcc dirtree.c -o dirtree

Then I copied it to the C directory and it functioned the same as the original executable included with the source files.

Here are the two corrections: In the struct at the beginning for "Global" on line 96 the value was LONG * but the function expects IPTR * so...
IPTR              opts[NOPTS];

Lastly on line 335 the DateTime flag can either be set or not set but it can't be NULL apparently. It only accepts value "DTF_SUBST" so...
//g->dt.dat_Flags   = NULL;
g->dt.dat_Flags   = DTF_SUBST;

The nice part of DirTree is that you can direct the output to a text file such as: "dirtree system:devs nohead >file.log"

Here is the code file attached.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 11:52:03 PM by miker1264 »

miker1264

• Legendary Member
Reply #34 on: November 09, 2021, 11:36:54 PM
AMIGASYSTEM

After I made the two slight corrections I was able to drop the c file in my Build System for Icaros 64bit along with the mmakefile. It compiled and worked fine for 64bit as well.

Possibly the older version of Murks didn't detect any errors, but the newer version did find errors. I suppose if it doesn't compile at the commandline it won't work in Murks either.

Here is the mmakefile that I used:

miker1264

• Legendary Member
Reply #35 on: November 09, 2021, 11:38:31 PM
Made a small test as a beginner programmer on Murks, a greeting from AROS One :D

Welocome to AROS dev.

I suppose that will suffice as "Hello World".  ;)

AMIGASYSTEM

• Legendary Member
  • AROS One
    • AROS One
Reply #36 on: November 10, 2021, 08:19:46 AM
Let's not exaggerate, I don't know anything about programming languages, I just did the magic copy-paste, at 67 years old it's too late to learn programming also because I already have many commitments, health permitting!

miker1264

• Legendary Member
Reply #37 on: November 10, 2021, 08:31:46 AM
Let's not exaggerate, I don't know anything about programming languages, I just did the magic copy-paste, at 67 years old it's too late to learn programming also because I already have many commitments, health permitting!

You took the first step. That's good.  :)

Five years ago I knew nothing about C programming and I especially knew nothing about programming for AROS or Amiga!

My first program was a copy-paste "Hello AROS World" just like yours. There are programmers like Deadwood willing to help.

Keep choosing small programs to build your skills. After a while you'll see much improvement. Then take on bigger projects.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 10:12:31 AM by miker1264 »

AMIGASYSTEM

• Legendary Member
  • AROS One
    • AROS One
Reply #38 on: November 11, 2021, 05:49:56 AM
Installed on AROS One x86 also the ModeExplorerCE "Classic version" indicated more for OS3 systems on Real AMiGA, with the Emulation you can safely use even the standard version.

AMIGASYSTEM

• Legendary Member
  • AROS One
    • AROS One
Reply #39 on: November 12, 2021, 03:53:02 PM
Thanks to the new version of Yannick, now ZuneARC recognizes all common formats even without extension, the new ZuneARC v1.6 with new config has been included in the first release of AROS One x86 v1.7, already full of new Updates.

miker1264

• Legendary Member
Reply #40 on: November 12, 2021, 04:36:27 PM
I tried out the previos version of AROS One x86 just recently. I was very impressed. Nice work.  :)

AMIGASYSTEM

• Legendary Member
  • AROS One
    • AROS One
Reply #41 on: November 13, 2021, 10:05:15 AM
Thanks miker, I'm glad you tried AROS One, the fact that users like it pushes to do better and better within the limits of their experience.

AROS needs modernization and functionality, in my small way I try to represent it at best, the too much similarity of AROS to Amiga in my opinion made it an old system, that's why I wanted to create a different AROS One graphic line so that users recognize it as AROS and not as an Amiga simulation.

Of course after using it they will notice the strong resemblance to Amiga, it is not the icons that make you recognize a system, but its functionality.

miker1264

• Legendary Member
Reply #42 on: November 13, 2021, 10:19:14 AM
AMIGASYSTEM

Thank you for your hard work. What you and others are doing with these distros is keeping the AROS spirit alive.  :)

I liked using AROS One x86 because it has many features. But mostly because it opens and closes quickly in my Virtual Machine. When I'm doing an iterative process of editing, compiling, testing and editing, compiling, testing it's good to be able to open and close the test platform as quickly as possible.

I will certainly use it for testing some new applications.  :)

deadwood

• AROS Developer
  • Legendary Member
Reply #43 on: November 14, 2021, 12:02:04 AM
AMIGASYSTEM

Thank you for your hard work. What you and others are doing with these distros is keeping the AROS spirit alive.  :)

+1

AMIGASYSTEM

• Legendary Member
  • AROS One
    • AROS One
Reply #44 on: November 16, 2021, 03:45:21 AM
Daysleeper, handy application that turns off the Computer after a predetermined time, in the archive including the source.